BEHIND THE BOOKCASE .... attic living in HEIDELBERG

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Summer Winding Down

As we approach the end of summer, in a cultural sense, I believe it's been a great season. It's my personal truth.

I'm trying to decide when did "ordinary" weeks become really terrific weeks when nothing outward has changed? I think I've changed. I don't want to get caught taking my people for granted or becoming complacent about the love that surrounds me.

Flower - in charge of being cute and keeping the score


Is there anything worse than rented bowling shoes? Where's Mr. Monk when you need him?


Joe started the weekend with a trifecta of sporting... Friday night bowling, Saturday morning ride, and Saturday afternoon 9 holes of golf. I can't keep up!

I just love these guys so stinkin' much ... btw, I do believe Brother Murphy could soon be a yoga master with that form!


In front of our apt building just before leaving on a 30mile ride


The apple doesn't fall far, does it?


So we've been staying busy with each other .... bowling, cycling, laundry, reading, washing dishes etc. But, we say funny stuff like: "Is Flower back from Girls Camp in Switzerland?" or "When the kids are off from school in October should we go to Krakow or Prague?"

*contemplative sigh*

I think it's been prompted by Marie's departure for college. It's difficult for me to stand on the precipice of this dynamic change in our relationship - though the fiscal component is still in solid contact (much to her father's chagrin). Their transition from home to college and missions and whatever else happens next was always so .... theoretical. But, it is surely come to pass and I'm left counting noses to see who's still here.



Anyway, it's different territory from when Jack left on his mission and I'm adjusting.

Being there as my people transition to a new season of life is where it's at.

3 comments:

  1. Julia! What a great post. What's Marie's new address? I still need to send her this package. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. Especially this part...

    "I'm trying to decide when did "ordinary" weeks become really terrific weeks when nothing outward has changed? I think I've changed. I don't want to get caught taking my people for granted or becoming complacent about the love that surrounds me."

    Very insightful. I'll be pondering this for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same thoughts as your friend Sarah, I love this post:) And the quote that stuck out was the exact same one she posted. I am working on this...trying to enjoy the simple moments of life. Love your quilt, it looks so beautiful. I am SO excited to see you!:)

    ReplyDelete