BEHIND THE BOOKCASE .... attic living in HEIDELBERG

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

No time like the present

I've been promising my friends that I would get a blog started to document our time and experiences in Germany.  Now that I feel mostly settled in and have the time to concentrate, I'm not sure where to start describing our transition from American life to ... something different.

We moved in early February 2009 from a fabulous home in the midwest - my husband John was offered a new assignment inside the terrific company he works for.  After three weeks in temporary housing, we encamped to an equally wonderful flat in one of the oldest neighborhoods in Heidelberg.  We live in a converted attic which offers spectacular views of the Heidelberg Castle built in 1214 to the east and the Rhine-Neckar to the west.   
We left behind the best of friends, colleagues, mentors, school chums, and a comfortable (yet predictable) lifestyle.  The greater significance however, we moved together as a family... even bringing our cat of 9 years.

That aside, I'm doing the same things today that I've been doing most of my married life:  cooking dinner, folding laundry, raising kids, and loving my husband.  It doesn't matter one bit where you're at, it where you're at that makes the difference.  I embrace those responsibilities, but it isn't the end all and be all of who I am and how I define myself.   

Fortunately, I'm cool with where I'm at.


1 comment:

  1. Woo-hoo! Sister Murphy has a blog. I'm excited to follow your adventures.

    ReplyDelete