BEHIND THE BOOKCASE .... attic living in HEIDELBERG

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Better to Give than Receive

Quilting is a hobby of mine - I think it has something to do with all those colors and patterns.

Anyway, the past few days I've been putting together a small quilt to send to Brownwood Quilter's Guild in Texas.  John's cousin Benita P. is the current president of this very active quilting group.  As part of their community outreach,they donate baby quilts to local hospitals.  
To much is given much is expected and we have been given much.


I put together this quilt top (45" x 55") to send to her; I emailed last week to make sure someone there would be able to machine quilt and bind it.  I used only fabrics I brought with me since the cost of cotton fabrics here is near prohibitive (see previous post "Conversion Fever"). 

I don't think this is my best work, but it has so many colors and designs I'm hoping a toddler will enjoy having it as much as I've enjoyed putting it together.
  

This is the first time I've used pinwheels much less put pinwheels and four-patch squares together!  Fortunately, the Brownwood Quilter's don't demand perfection, just patchwork made with love.  

Quilts made for others is where it's at.

2 comments:

  1. You are so kind. My mom is an avid quilt maker as well so it's fun to see other people so into it. It looks great and some toddler is going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julia,
    This quilt is fabulous...wish I could quilt like you! Your blog is really something. I feel like I'm actually there!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete